Monday, November 15, 2010

The dressing room

I am incredibly fortunate that we have a small room in the house that we have agreed to change to a dressing room for me. It makes me very happy.

We started off with a plan to convert this room to a place that would accommodate my gazillion dresses (yes, I only wear dresses, even during the winter time), my yoga pants (because that is what I work out in), and my shoes (because I love shoes)- as well as a 'dressing table' to do make up, and space for a laundry basket.

The room had yucky carpet to start with and peeling plaster walls. Mission one was to remove the carpet.


After removing the carpet, I painted the 'little closet' turqoise. This is my 'shoe section'.






We painted the rest of the dressing room a soft pink from Martha Stewart paints. The color is cal;ed 'Ballet Slipper Pink'.


My hubby had 'salvaged' (more like picked up from the alley garbage) someone's left over hardwood floors. We debated whether to install these of to install some Cork flooring that I purchased at the ReStore for a whooping $10 total. We also decided against the yucky laminate that we had salvaged from our kitchen renovation earlier this summer. There was not enough of the hardwood unfortunately- and so Cork it is. Here is the finished floor.



After this was done, I got all my stuff in. A big 'commercial rack' to hang my clothes until I have some money saved for an Elfa system from the container store- plus, I am waiting for it to go on sale. Old IKEA cabinets I own  for folding space for my yoga pants and purses. An IKEA Trofast storage piece for the unmentionables, scarves, gloves etc. An old crate and barrel bookcase/desk for a 'dressing table' that I can use for make up etc. An old container store 'rolly' for t-shirts, night clothes and etcs. And this is the 'final-for-now' look.




All that is left to do is to change the light fixture and hang some art-work.  And I do have some fun art work planned for the room.  It feels nice having my clothes out of boxes.

No comments:

Post a Comment